I have a closet full of beautiful clothes for all sorts of occasions, but lately I have noticed a distinct trend in the clothes I reach for most often. They easily mix and match and are simple to dress up or down, depending on my mood. They’re also mostly black, which makes me chuckle a bit because black is such a seasonal color for me. Once the weather dips in the fall, I embrace black and charcoal (with the occasional soft color or contrasting white layer). By the end of winter, I’m desperate to wear any color but black and I look for softer gray and blush tones to pull myself out of the winter blues. But as we head into the long, cold winter – bring on the black!
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission each time someone makes a purchase through one of my links, which helps to support the blog. I sincerely hope that you enjoy today’s post.
Here are my current favorite pieces for the season and why I love them:
1. Black Leggings – Leggings are my absolute favorite thing to wear these days. I can dress them up or down, they’re cozy, and, if you invest in the right pair, they totally count as legitimate pants. I reach for a basic pair of Hue leggings (DSW has the best price I’ve seen) if I’m just hanging out at home for the day, but, when I want to look a little nicer, Spanx Look at Me Now Leggings are my absolute favorite. They are super-comfortable to wear all day, they have a nice texture, and provide great coverage.
2. Black and Taupe Blanket Scarf – Anyone who knows me knows that I am always cold. If I had my way, I’d have a personal space heater by my side from November till April. Since that’s not exactly practical, I often accessorize by adding a scarf to my outfit. I find that scarves are the easiest, most stylish way to subtly stay warm without packing on the layers. And now that winter is nipping at my heels, it is blanket scarf season. I picked up a simple blanket scarf at Old Navy with a large-scale check design and I am obsessed. The black and blush-taupe shades in the scarf are perfect for the season and I drape myself in the scarf in and outside of the house.
3. Black Gloss Hunter Boots – My tall welly-style boots are perfect for all the precipitation that fall has thrown our way – from wind and rain to sleet and snow. They’re my footwear when I head out the door for my daily walk with Dessa and the glossy sheen adds an exciting pop of style to any outfit. (I also found the cutest little pair of bargain glossy boots for Dessa on Amazon so we can be twins!)
4. Black and white striped blouse – I save my super-casual outfits for low-key days at home, but I try to dress a little nicer when I plan to see friends or take my laptop to Starbucks for a little work time all by myself. I bought this black and white striped blouse last year at Express and surprised myself by how often I wear it this year. The blouse is long enough to work with a pair of leggings and tall boots. It also looks great with skinny jeans (my favorites are from BlankNYC) and black flats. Best of all, Express brought the same blouse back in a pocketless version this season!
5. Comfy pull-on jeans – I love, love, LOVE my Liverpool pull-on jeans because they look like regular jeans, but have the pull-on ease of leggings. I actually started wearing these during my first trimester with Dessa because the extra stretch was perfect for accommodating my growing baby bump. Now the stretchy fabric is perfect for chasing a toddler around the house or at the local moms’ group.
6. Black Ribbed Pullover – This super-soft, ribbed pullover delivers more warmth than I expected. It’s great for curling up on the sofa with a blanket and a hot cup of coffee and dresses up nicely for a night on the town. It also doesn’t hurt that the swingy drape of the fabric is extra flattering. There is a surprise peekaboo seam in the back, but I always layer a black tank under the sweater for a more conservative look.
7. Black and White Striped V-Neck Tunic – I know that I raved about this long-sleeve, striped top in this month’s Trunk Club review, but only because it’s THAT good. This is another classic top that is perfect for casual days around the house (like the time I baked pumpkin muffins with Dessa), but it also looks SO GREAT dressed up with skinny jeans and a nice pair of shoes. Speaking of nice shoes, they are the next item on my list and I truly cannot say enough good things about them!
8. Black Pointy Toe Rothy’s – I am so glad that I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of black pointy toe Rothy’s. I fell in love with my round toe Rothy’s and was super-curious to try out the dressier point-style flat from the same company. These shoes are so, so good! I throw them on with a pair of skinny jeans and a basic top from my closet and the shoes instantly elevate my whole look – even when it’s just a simple striped shirt. (You can read my full review of Rothy’s and why I love them so much in this blog post.)
9. Black Cardigan – As great as a blouse or t-shirt can be, they often aren’t warm enough for me, so I have several cardigans tucked away in my closet that I layer with my lightweight tops. I have several different colors and some cardigans are nicer than others, but my black roll-neck cover-up from Express is quickly becoming a favorite. It’s super-soft, has a nice weight and keeps me warm without looking frumpy.
10 and 11. Black and White Layering Tanks – I always wear a tank of some sort under my shirts and sweaters. I love the “first layer” tank that Old Navy sells because they are comfortable and lightweight. Their white tank tops are my absolute favorite (I wear a white one 98% of the time, but a black tank pairs best under a solid black shirt or blouse.
And there you have it – my current fall wardrobe favorites as we head into winter. I wear at least one of these items every single day and there are several days I find myself dressed in 2-3 pieces from the list. I just purchased a few new clothing items that fit the black and white trend I’ve been loving and I can’t wait to share those outfit details with you soon. In the meantime, click any of the images below to shop my favorite pieces of the season.